Thursday, November 13, 2014

Hot Flashes on ICE!

hot2

This is Phyl`s Hot Flashes quilt and I thought it was fitting that it be the first quilt I photograph on the ice this year.  Who doesn't need to be cooled down when having a hot flash!   The pattern is by Daniela Stout of Cozy Quilt Designs and the fabric is a Bali Pop called Volcano.    I used Plush for the quilting designs, Copper coloured So Fine thread and Quilters Dream Blend batting.

hot5

Before you give me heck for walking on the ice it is 4 inches thick by the dock so that is safe to support my weight.  I was so happy to see that is froze so smooth and clear right beside the dock, I wasn’t expecting that.   You can see how clear it is in the next photo, you can see a boulder under the ice!

hot3hot7hot6hot1

We also woke up to a beautiful scattering of hoar frost crystals again this morning, this happened last year and you can see those pictures here.    This time the frost nucleated in the wet patches on the lake as well as long the edge of the snow where I had shovelled the rink.  

frost1frost3

Looks like a white feather boa!

frost6frost4

Here is a single crystal with a quarter for scale, most of the larger frost crystals are one to two inches in size.

frost2

15 comments:

  1. Fun quilt. Love all those hoar ice pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That clear ice is amazing!!! And too funny - a hot flash on ice lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt, Phyl and Kathy. Beautiful crystal pictures as well. You should have quite a wonderful backdrop this winter with the clear, smooth ice and the crystal ridges. Unfortunately our bay has frozen over very rough this year. The wind blew from the wrong direction for three days while the ice was forming. There will be no skating on the lake this year. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Beautiful quilt and quilting - I love the colours. And of course your photography is spectacular also - what a beautiful backdrop for all your lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great photos. The crystal was just breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely quilt but most of all I had never seen a crystal like that, feather boa just like you said. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am glad the ice photos are back for another year…the hoar frost is amazing…our river just froze over the last 2 days…it is amazing to watch it slowly ice up and the floating ice patches slow and join together until it is frozen…mother nature is amazing for sure

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that quilt (the name alone is fab!!!!). Those ice crystals are something I've not seen the likes of (at least, in that size!!!). Gorgeous setting but I really do wish the cold would have held off for a bit!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the last photo of the frost with the quarter. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe you have that much ice!! It is such a nice back drop for the pictures. Beautiful quilting. The quilt is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy, that ice really *is* clear this year, isn't it?! Really fun hoarfrost pictures, and that's a great quilt. You have such a great job. :) I really like what you did with the modern quilt on the next post, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilt and I always love seeing your quilts on the ice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Colours of the quilt remind me of the southwest where I am of the winter.. Love it

    ReplyDelete