Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Scrappy Squares Quilted


We had a nice quiet Christmas and I was able to quilt my Scrappy Squares quilt this week.  I have been waiting a few days for the sun to shine to take outdoor pictures but it only stopped snowing long enough for me to clear off the rink for this shot.


I did a faux border in the background repeating the design of the scrappy square border. And of coarse lots of feathers!


I used a stencil for the feather wreaths and free hand quilted the border with just marking the spine.


I used two colored of So Fine thread on top and one color of Bottom Line in the bobbin to give the back a wholecloth look.


This is the first time I have quilted this style of feathers in the outer border and even though they are more time consuming they are fun to do.  The border was only 5" wide and it would probably be easier to do in a wider border.


14 comments:

  1. I love the way you created the quilted borders. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning, Kathy!!! I so LOVE how you quilted the borders and all those gorgeous feathers!!! I took a little time away from the computer and quilting and now I've been trying to play catch up on blogs. I hope you had a Merry Christmas! LOVED the Elf yourself!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy that is just gorgeous quilting-never would have thought of a faux border-very cool! Love the feathers
    the picture on your lake what is that under the ice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! I really like how you kept the borders the same background color. G

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy...that is really beautiful! Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilting is lovely. I really enjoy seeing your photos out in the snow or on the ice. I like the pattern for this quilt. Is it one of yours?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous quilt; love what you did with the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilting is amazing. I especially love the first picture with the ice showing around the quilt. It gives it an enchanted like appearance.

    Coleen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really lovely Kathy - Just love your quilting

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully done. Love it
    Lynn B

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilting - I'd probably have trouble giving this away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilting! Stopping by from voting for it at Quilting Gallery.

    ReplyDelete